Re: Lexical feedback

Mitchell Perilstein <mnp@compass-da.com>
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:23:26 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lexical feedback plong@perf.com (Paul Long) (1995-09-22)
Re: Lexical feedback mnp@compass-da.com (Mitchell Perilstein) (1995-09-29)
Re: Lexical feedback plong@perf.com (Paul Long) (1995-10-06)
Lexical feedback 75066.3204@CompuServe.COM (Carl Barron) (1995-10-21)
Re: Lexical feedback rich@rdp.introl.com (Richard Pennington) (1995-10-22)
Re: Lexical feedback pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-10-23)
Re: Lexical feedback vern@daffy.ee.lbl.gov (1995-10-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Mitchell Perilstein <mnp@compass-da.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:23:26 GMT

What's wrong with the parser communicating its state to the lexer at the
same time it asks the lexer for the next token?

I'm about to do exactly this for a C-like language that has its own
macro processor. Some of the macros are only valid in certain contexts.
If I pass a little context information to lex from the parser, all the
macros can be handled by lex. Fortunately, this is a by-hand lex and
parser; who knows how to teach lex and yacc this trick without globals?

What are the reasons for your hesitation?

---
  Mitchell N. Perilstein [\]
  COMPASS Design Automation, Columbia MD USA
  mnp@compass-da.com
  Tel: 410-992-5700 x1225, Fax: 410-992-3536
[Don't forget that yacc can be reading a token ahead of where it's parsing.
That makes lexical feedback more exciting. -John]