User friendly compiler-compiler tools

faase@cs.utwente.nl (Frans F.J. Faase)
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:04:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
User friendly compiler-compiler tools faase@cs.utwente.nl (1995-09-18)
Re: User friendly compiler-compiler tools anton@complang.tuwien.ac.at (1995-10-02)
User friendly compiler-compiler tools fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1995-10-14)
Re: User friendly compiler-compiler tools fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson) (1995-11-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: faase@cs.utwente.nl (Frans F.J. Faase)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:04:45 GMT

Many of the tools for constructing compilers (like yacc and such) are
focussing on the problem of generating fast parsers and scanners. I
do not believe that this is a big problem nowadays any more (please
do not flame me, or start a thread on this subject).

Are there also compiler construction tools that focus on
user-friendliness? For example I would like to write:

expr := "(" expr ")"
            | expr "*" expr PRIO 1 L
            | expr "/" expr PRIO 1 L
            | expr "+" expr PRIO 2 L
            | expr "&&" expr PRIO 3 R
            | var_ident.

Such that "(a && b) * c / d + e && f && g" is read as:
    ((((a && b) * c) / d) + e) && (f && g)

These tools should also have a intuitive way for making Abstract
Syntax Trees and the handling of identifier definition and usages.
Possibly, type checking should also be included.

Any ideas or suggestions? I feel that tools like yacc and lex are not
anymore acceptable in this age of user-friendlyness. I also think
that there is no reason why a parser should not be allowed to
back-track once in a while.

Frans

--
Frans J. Faase
Vakgroep Informatiesystemen Tel : +31-53-894232