Re: Reuse of computations

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 00:56:17 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Reuse of computations citron@CS.HUJI.AC.IL (1995-09-04)
Re: Reuse of computations snovack@justright.ICS.UCI.EDU (Steven Novack) (1995-09-09)
Re: Reuse of computations pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-09-11)
Re: Reuse of computations chase@centerline.com (1995-09-12)
Re: Reuse of computations davids@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (1995-09-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 00:56:17 GMT

citron@CS.HUJI.AC.IL (Daniel Citron) writes:
>[Are there any practical implementations of memoizing?]

Most examples of caching -- both hardware and software -- can be viewed
as memoizing. One of my favorite papers:

%A Peter Deutsch
%A Alan M. Schiffman
%T Efficient Implementation of the Smalltalk-80 System
%J 11th Annual Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
(POPL-11)
%D January 1984
%P 297-302

Steve Richardson had an interesting Sun Labs TR a few years back about
topics including memoizing. Though I don't know that it falls under
``practical implementations'', it does talk explicitly about redundant
computations and memoizing:

http://www.sun.com:80/smli/techrep/1992/abstract-1.html

See also (blowing my own horn):

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/pardo/rtcg.d/index.html
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/pardo/sim.d/index.html

there are a large number of examples of memoizing (caching), though
they're rather spread around.

And, of course, many systems today have hardware instruction and data
caches, which memoize the result of a memory read operation.

;-D on ( Common superexpressions ) Pardo