GCC code generator docs

platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (A Johnstone)
Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:35:58 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GCC code generator docs platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (1995-09-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (A Johnstone)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:35:58 GMT

I should think this is a FAQ, for which I apologise, but anyway.

I'm needing to port a C compiler to my new, rather wacky architecture in a
bit of a hurry. We have an in-house C compiler but I need something that is
very production quality. The obvious options are lcc and gcc.

I have the lcc book, and feel fairly relaxed about doing the code
generator. I suspect that gcc's output is better optimised than lcc,
so maybe I should use gcc instead. Howver, I find the texinfo docs on
the code generator interface a little sparse. Can anyone point me at
tutorial documentation or useful examples? Does anybody have opinions
on lcc vs gcc?

    Dr Adrian Johnstone, Dean of the Science Faculty, Dept of Computer Science,
        Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
Email: adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk Tel: +44 (0)1784 443425 Fax: +44 (0)1784 443420
[I gather that lcc's gode is better than unoptimized gcc, but not as good as
gcc with all the optimization on. Doing a code generator for lcc looks to be a
lot easier. -John]