Re: Global register allocation

Eyal Ben-Avraham <eyal@dsp.co.il>
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 06:42:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Global register allocation jaidi@technet.sg (1995-08-31)
Re: Global register allocation eyal@dsp.co.il (Eyal Ben-Avraham) (1995-09-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Eyal Ben-Avraham <eyal@dsp.co.il>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 06:42:32 GMT

: I am baffled. How can a compiler allocate global registers?
: The only solution that comes to my mind is to make the linker
: not only capable of resolving memory addresses, but also
: inserting load/store instructions in case of global register
: conflicts. But that would undo compiler optimisation.
: ...

Hi,

I remember reading somewhere that the MIPS linkers get as input
some kind of intermediate language form (not regular object files),
thus enabling them to do various inter-procedural optimizations
such as inter-procedural register allocation.

Eyal.

Eyal Ben-Avraham Telephone: ++972 3 531 2553
DSP-Semiconductors Fax: ++972 3 532 3220
I S R A E L Email: eyal@dsp.co.il