Re: RPN as intermediate code?

mejohnsn@netcom.com (Matthew Johnson)
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 05:15:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RPN as intermediate code? gorelick@esther.la.asu.edu (1995-08-22)
Re: RPN as intermediate code? lkaplan@BIX.com (1995-08-25)
Re: RPN as intermediate code? jaidi@technet.sg (1995-08-26)
Re: RPN as intermediate code? odersky@ira.uka.de (1995-08-29)
Re: RPN as intermediate code? ukln@rzstud2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de (1995-08-31)
Re: RPN as intermediate code? hbaker@netcom.com (1995-09-02)
Re: RPN as intermediate code? mejohnsn@netcom.com (1995-09-11)
Re: RPN as intermediate code? bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (1995-09-06)
Re: RPN as intermediate code? Robert.Corbett@Eng.Sun.COM (1995-09-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mejohnsn@netcom.com (Matthew Johnson)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 05:15:13 GMT

The book "TIL..." was written well after FORTH was written, by the
author when he was trying to do his own version of a TIL. He was
accused of "not understanding FORTH", but in fact he was doing his
own TIL, not FORTH. Even so, I think his variations on the FORTH
idea did not prove very promising. This is why you still see
versions of FORTH (although more and more rarely), but almost never
his TIL.

The latest incarnation of FORTH is IEEE 1275 standard for _hardware
independent_firmware. For more info on 1275, see my Web page on Open
Firmware at: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/me/mejohnsn/OFIntro.html. I
will be re-writing it soon to presume less FORTH knowledge on the
part of the reader.

Matthew Johnson
Sabaki Engineering
mejohnsn@netcom.com