Re: Source to source translator.

johnm@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell)
Mon, 4 Sep 1995 20:49:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Source to source translator. amzal@prof.inria.fr (1995-08-30)
Re: Source to source translator. johnm@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (1995-09-04)
Re: Source to source translator. colas@aye.inria.fr (1995-09-05)
Re: Source to source translator. tonyk@cybercom.net (1995-09-07)
Re: Source to source translator. grosch@cocolab.sub.com (1995-09-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: johnm@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 20:49:13 GMT

Mokrane Amzal <amzal@prof.inria.fr> wrote:
>Do anybody have ever heard about a system which allows abstract tree
>rewriting based on rules given in high level language ?

Yep. Check out "Sorcerer" by Parr, et al. It's sorta part of the Purdue
Compiler Construction ToolSet (PCCTS). Source, examples, draft of upcoming
PCCTS book, etc. are on ftp://ftp.parr-research.com/pub/pccts and
discussion and what not in comp.compilers.tools.pccts. Sorcerer and PCCTS
is free and supported by the original authors.

>I mean the user specifies the rewriting rules in a very abstract
>language. As input, the system takes a tree, applies the rules
>(compiled or pre-compiled), and gives another tree.

Sorcerer is to tree walkers/transformers as ANTLR is to language parsers.

Go wild,
John