Global register allocation (Nor Jaidi)
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 05:53:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Global register allocation (1995-08-31)
Re: Global register allocation (Eyal Ben-Avraham) (1995-09-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Nor Jaidi)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 05:53:07 GMT

I am baffled. How can a compiler allocate global registers?
The only solution that comes to my mind is to make the linker
not only capable of resolving memory addresses, but also
inserting load/store instructions in case of global register
conflicts. But that would undo compiler optimisation.

Please shed some visible electromagnetic wave on this matter.

Nor Jaidi
[I'd guess that typically the compiler looks at the whole program before
handing it to the linker. Also remember that "global" often is taken to mean
among a group of related routines, not necessarily the whole program. -John]