Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems

jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Jan Vorbrueggen)
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:22:44 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ADA/C++ Compatibility problems dasilvia@sonalysts.com (1995-08-18)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems papayd@gtewd.mtv.gtegsc.com (Dave Papay M/S 7G32 x2791) (1995-08-21)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems bobduff@world.std.com (1995-08-21)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems stachour@klondike.winternet.com (1995-08-25)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (1995-08-30)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems gbaker@rp.CSIRO.AU (1995-09-07)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (1995-09-07)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1995-09-07)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems przemek@rrdjazz.nist.gov (1995-09-13)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems jbuck@Synopsys.COM (1995-09-17)
Re: ADA/C++ Compatibility problems leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1995-09-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Jan Vorbrueggen)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:22:44 GMT

stachour@klondike.winternet.com (Paul D. Stachour) writes:

      To understand what multilingual interfaces need, I suggest reading abou the
      Multics run-time and how its descriptors work so that calls from PL/I to
      FORTRAN (or similar cross-language calls) are easy. If you want to know
      how the hard way, I suggest reading the IBM OS/360 manuals that indicate
      the kind of interface routine one needs to build to do cross-language calls
      from one language to another when they don't support the same run-time
      paridigm.

As a more readily accessible exmaple that Multics, try the VMS calling
conventions. DEC's compilers have had inter-language calls from day one. The
necessary "hacks" to get languages requiring initialization to co-operate
properly are less well documented, although a general mechanism
(LIB$INITIALIZE) is provided.

Jan
[I gather there are (were?) performance problems -- the heavyweight CALLS and
CALLG instructions used in the common calling sequence were complicated and
slow. -John]