Usability advice to compiler/interpreter authors

claird@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Cameron Laird)
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:13:49 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Usability advice to compiler/interpreter authors claird@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (1995-08-14)
Re: Usability advice to compiler/interpreter authors burley@gnu.ai.mit.edu (1995-08-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.software-eng
From: claird@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Cameron Laird)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:13:49 GMT

Compiler/interpreter authors, please give us users analysis-time
access to version, platform, and invocation data (especially the
first of these). I'll illustrate with an example: a C compiler
should always insert some default values in its table of manifest
constants, so that developers can write

#ifdef VERSION1_0
hand_coded_exception_mechanism()
#endif
#ifdef VERSION1_1
more_standard_approach()
#endif

Analogous facilities would help particular instance of Scheme, BASIC,
... interpreters and FORTRAN, Ada, ... compilers.

I don't have any interesting theory to accompany this plea; I
don't think there's a single intellectually profound problem this
solves. However, facilities like this make an enormous difference
to us working developers out in the real world.
--

Cameron Laird http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird@Neosoft.com +1 713 267 7966