Re: debuggers - request for information

David Keppel <pardo@cs.washington.edu>
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 17:07:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: debuggers - request for information R.Sosic@cit.gu.edu.au (1995-07-21)
Re: debuggers - request for information reid@HASKELL.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU (1995-07-22)
Re: debuggers - request for information bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1995-07-25)
Re: debuggers - request for information pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-07-26)
Re: debuggers - request for information boggs@osage.csc.ti.com (1995-07-27)
Re: debuggers - request for information 100341.3447@CompuServe.COM (Clive Harris) (1995-08-01)
Re: debuggers - request for information pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (1995-08-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: David Keppel <pardo@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 17:07:04 GMT

>[Creative new untraditional debugger approaches?]

The line between debugging and tracing is vague: the basic purpose of a
debugger is to take a wide range of state and map it to a narrower
range of state that a human can grok. Many tracing tools do much the
same thing.

For example, the EDSAC debugger I keep mentioning is also a program
tracing tool. (And, the Shade simulation and tracing tool I keep
making noise about has been used to implement a debugger.) I'd also
check out the program visulatization tools such as the UW Illustrating
Compiler (UW TR #90-07-01; see under `http://www.cs.washington.edu'),
though I don't have a good bibliography on such tools.

Blowing my own horn: for more about tracing tools (and some other tools)
see the related work section in the Shade SIGMETRICS '95 paper,

%A Bob Cmelik
%A David Keppel
%T Shade: A Fast Instruction-Set Simulator for Execution Profiling
%J Proceedings of the 1994 ACM SIGMETRICS Conference
on the Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems
%D May 1994
%P 128-137

available under

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/compiler/papers.d/shade.html
ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/pardo/shade.ps.Z

Some of the tools that are oriented towards a user-level view of
program behavior are:

Dynascope [Sosic]
Parasight [Aral & Gertner]
Pixie
Purify

There are probably others; if you know of a tool that is missing from
the list, please let me know.

;-D on ( The bitwise paper chase ) Pardo