Re: debuggers - request for information

Clive Harris <100341.3447@CompuServe.COM>
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 08:10:26 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: debuggers - request for information sriram@tcs.com (1995-07-20)
Re: debuggers - request for information R.Sosic@cit.gu.edu.au (1995-07-21)
Re: debuggers - request for information reid@HASKELL.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU (1995-07-22)
Re: debuggers - request for information bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1995-07-25)
Re: debuggers - request for information pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-07-26)
Re: debuggers - request for information boggs@osage.csc.ti.com (1995-07-27)
Re: debuggers - request for information 100341.3447@CompuServe.COM (Clive Harris) (1995-08-01)
Re: debuggers - request for information pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (1995-08-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Clive Harris <100341.3447@CompuServe.COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 08:10:26 GMT

Someone recently asked:

> 3) Have anybody made any creative, new debuggers who breaks the tradition
> of using breakpoints, stepping etc.? Implementing new, untraditional
> approaches to the debugging task?

Our debugger - or more truly - our debugging and visualization system
- called LOOK! works with C++ and breaks the old paradigm of
single-stepping line by line through the source code. LOOK! is an
object-based debugging and visualization environment for C++ which
parses your C++ executable and reconstitutes animated object diagrams
which play alonside your application as it executes. LOOK! allows you
to supervise and mediate the debugging process via an animated object
diagram, and of course allows you to drill-down to the source code
whenever necessary. LOOK! comprises several dynamic, animated
graphical views of the internals of your C++ runtime environment.
--
LOOK! - the dynamic C++ visualization and debugging system.

http://www.scotnet.co.uk/ost/