Re: Byte-Code compiler references (Ryan Davis)
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 07:18:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Byte-Code compiler references (S.Bharadwaj Yadavalli) (1995-07-20)
Re: Byte-Code compiler references (1995-07-27)
Re: Byte-Code compiler references (Per Frykenvall) (1995-08-02)
Re: Byte-Code compiler references (1995-08-02)
Virtual Machines (was: Byte-Code compiler references) (Steven D. Majewski) (1995-08-04)
Re: Virtual Machines (was: Byte-Code compiler references) (1995-08-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Ryan Davis)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 07:18:06 GMT

I've asked and looked... I didn't get much...

A general description is available in Smalltalk-80, by Adele Goldberg and
David Robson. It WON'T go into major detail, but it does give a good
understanding. A _rather_ simple implementation is available in
LittleSmalltalk, from Timothy Budd. It is NOT the one described in the
book above, but A Little Smalltalk, by Budd. will get you to his directory. From there
there are three choices... I'd get version 3 if I were you. It is a
virtually bug free, albeit larger implementation (than version 4 - which
is bug-FULL)... His book describes the scheme in detail, but I don't think
that it is a very robust (compared to ST-80 or Java) method...

The last is Java, which I've been told that there is an actual FORMALIZED
paper available on the net describing the technical aspects of Java's
bytecode compiling/interpreting scheme... I haven't found it and would
like to get it... If you get any details on this, or any other
information, I'd LOVE to get it...