Re: debuggers - request for information

vern@daffy.ee.lbl.gov (Vern Paxson)
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 19:18:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
debuggers - request for information arnew@ifi.uio.no (Arne Watnelie) (1995-07-12)
Re: debuggers - request for information simmons@bnr.ca (steve (s.s.) simmons) (1995-07-17)
Re: debuggers - request for information Zhiqing.Liu@att.com (Zhiqing Liu) (1995-07-17)
Re: debuggers - request for information vern@daffy.ee.lbl.gov (1995-07-17)
Re: debuggers - request for information kadhim@munge.cs.colorado.edu (1995-07-18)
Re: debuggers - request for information dmurphya@cix.compulink.co.uk (1995-07-18)
Re: debuggers - request for information baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl (1995-07-19)
Re: debuggers - request for information pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-07-20)
Re: debuggers - request for information ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1995-07-20)
Re: debuggers - request for information sriram@tcs.com (1995-07-20)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: vern@daffy.ee.lbl.gov (Vern Paxson)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 19:18:04 GMT

Arne Watnelie <arnew@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> In the work with my master thesis, I have searched internet and libraries
> for debugging related information, with little luck. Maybe I'm the only one
> who don't manage to write correct programs? :-)
>
> Any pointers to related information, either in books or on the internet,
> would be very, very welcome.

You might want to check out a survey paper I wrote on breakpoint debugging,
which I advertised a while back in this newsgroup. It's in:

ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/debugger-support.ps.Z

It was written in 1990 though so it's missing any more recent work (such
as Robert Wahbe's compiler-based stuff, published [at least] in one or
two of the recent ASPLOS's).

I also have a paper outlining a proposed agent-based debugger architecture,
where the idea is that the debugger communicates with a (fairly simple)
local agent linked into the debugged program. This has nice properties
like giving you fast conditional breakpoints (because the agent can evaluate
the breakpoint expression locally) and simple tele-debugging, and an
architecture-independent debugger front end. The paper's not in any shape to
distribute widely, but if you're interested drop me a line at vern@ee.lbl.gov
and I'll send you a copy.

Vern

Vern Paxson