Re: directives for optimised code

cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser)
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 20:37:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
directives for optimised code maatwerk@euronet.nl (1995-06-28)
Re: directives for optimised code cdg@nullstone.com (1995-07-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 20:37:41 GMT

M.M._van_der_Laan <maatwerk@euronet.nl> writes:
> Maybe it is a good idea to tell the compiler if a portion of code
> is likely to be executed or not. Look at the following code and
> it's translation:
>
> --- source --- --- intermediate code ---
> if a < b if a < b, jump lab1
> error("A is less than B") call error(...)
> else jump lab2
> normal processing lab1: normal processing
> next statement lab2: next statement
>
> In the next fragment I added a directive {NO}, which instructs ...

Directives are possible, but most programmers want to set a -go-very-fast
option and let the compiler do the work.

Execution feedback is one solution. Also, some compilers look for various
spellings of "error", which, coincidentally, would work in your example.

Regards,
Christopher Glaeser
Nullstone Corporation