Re: Editing/storing syntax trees

Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@epfl.ch>
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 16:56:58 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Editing/storing syntax trees bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (1995-06-23)
Re: Editing/storing syntax trees frode@news2.deltanet.com (Frode Odegard) (1995-06-24)
Re: Editing/storing syntax trees hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (1995-06-24)
Re: Editing/storing syntax trees preston@tera.com (1995-06-24)
Re: Editing/storing syntax trees jhallen@world.std.com (1995-06-27)
Re: Editing/storing syntax trees boggs@osage.csc.ti.com (1995-06-27)
Re: Editing/storing syntax trees stefan.monnier@epfl.ch (Stefan Monnier) (1995-06-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@epfl.ch>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 16:56:58 GMT

John Hagerman <hagerman@ece.cmu.edu> wrote:
] Seriously, every time I work with "objects" I begin by (or end up
] having to) write code to read/write a text format for debugging (at
] least). How many times have the advantages of plain text been re-
] discovered? One recent example: mark-up language standards.

Well, same thing for me !

I'm not advocating getting rid of text (I'm no big GUI fan), I just
want that the text representation used for display/debug/etc.. be
recognized as just a view on an object. What you really express when
you write code is a syntax tree, not text. Text is just used as a
convenient interface with the user. I'm not against using text as an
interface with the user, I'm against using text as an interface
between programs. Programs use bits, humans use characters or
pictures.

Stefan