APRIL compiler not a joke!

erlebach@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Erlebach)
Thu, 11 May 1995 04:12:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANNOUNCE: Release of APRIL compiler erlebach@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (1995-04-29)
APRIL compiler not a joke! erlebach@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (1995-05-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: erlebach@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Erlebach)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 04:12:47 GMT

Hi! About two weeks ago I announced the release of the APRIL compiler in
this newsgroup. Obviously many people thought it was a joke because
"APRIL 1.0" seemed to hint at April Fool's Day. Herewith I want to
clarify that the APRIL compiler is *NOT* a joke. Pick up the archive
at ftp server papa.informatik.tu-muenchen.de in directory /pub/april
and check it yourself!

Why did I call the language and the compiler APRIL? Well, I was looking
for an acronym that contained AP (Automatic Parallelization) and i couldn't
come up with anything but APRIL. I let the RIL in APRIL stand for "Recursive
Instruction Language", which doesn't really make much sense but gives me
an excuse for calling the language APRIL and not something like APODICA
("Automatic Parallelization Of DIvide and Conquer Algorithms").

Anyway, if you are interested in parallelizing compilers, please check out
the APRIL compiler package. Send any questions or comments to my e-mail
address erlebach@informatik.tu-muenchen.de.

One person reported that he was having problems with the APRIL example
programs on workstations running Solaris 2.4. I haven't had a chance to
further investigate this yet. All I can say is that APRIL has been tested
on HP workstations running HP-UX and SUN workstations running SunOS 4.1
and that it worked fine on these platforms.

Regards,

Thomas Erlebach

--
Thomas Erlebach (e-mail: erlebach@informatik.tu-muenchen.de)