data flow graph semantics (translation) of pointers

ah@idruby.id.dtu.dk (Anne Haxthausen)
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 10:05:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
data flow graph semantics (translation) of pointers ah@idruby.id.dtu.dk (1995-04-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.compilers
From: ah@idruby.id.dtu.dk (Anne Haxthausen)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 10:05:41 GMT

I would be grateful, if anybody could answer the following question.

Background:
-----------

We are a group at the Technical University of Denmark, who is
making a hardware/software co-syntese toolset.
As the intermediate language in the high-level synthesis, we are
using static data flow graphs.

We are considering making a translator from C to data flow graphs.
Large parts of C are translatable to static data flow graphs,
however, in general it is not possible to translate dynamic
maintened objects like pointers to static data flow graphs.
      A way to solve this problem may be to extend the static dataflow
graphs with an abstract storage type with update and lookup
operations. The translation of a program containing pointers would
then give rise to a storage chain cointaining nodes which update
and lookup the storage.
An assignment of the form, *p := ..., (where p is a pointer)
would give rise to an update node in the graph,
and an expression of the form, *p, would give rise to a lookup node
in the graph.

Question:
---------

Do you know if anybody have made something similar?

Have anybody given a language with pointers
a dataflow graph (or colored Petri net) semantics?

Thanking you, in advance

      Anne Haxthausen

      Department of Computer Science
      The Technical University of Denmark, bld. 344
      DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
      e-mail: ah@id.dtu.dk