Re: Request: Literature on read/compile/run - time evaluation

lkaplan@BIX.com (Leonard Kaplan)
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 05:01:48 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Request: Literature on read/compile/run - time evaluation cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (1995-04-18)
Re: Request: Literature on read/compile/run - time evaluation lkaplan@BIX.com (1995-04-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: lkaplan@BIX.com (Leonard Kaplan)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 05:01:48 GMT

>I'm seeking for previous work about elegant ways to control evaluation
>time of code, in the way Common Lisp can eval at read, compile or run
>time. Most important, I want read/compile-time-evaluated code that can
>operate on the source code to be compiled/interpreted later. Both
>should be the same language.

Martin,

I hope I haven't misunderstood your request completely, but if you haven't
done so already, take a look at Forth. I think it allows the kind of
extension you desire in its "create ... does>" mechanism, whereby you may
use currently-existing "words" to define "new types of words" (words with
new types of compile-time and run-time behaviors). Check with the folks in
comp.lang.forth for some good references (I have used "Starting Forth" and
"Thinking Forth", both by Leo Brodie, but there may be books that work at
an even higher level - Dick Pountain has a book on object-oriented Forth
that may give you some insight into the mechanisms involved)

-Len Kaplan