compiler defects and mission critical failures

metzger@bach.convex.com (Robert Metzger)
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 05:18:56 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler defects and mission critical failures cdg@nullstone.com (1995-04-18)
compiler defects and mission critical failures metzger@bach.convex.com (1995-04-29)
compiler defects and mission critical failures cdg@nullstone.com (1995-04-30)
Re: compiler defects and mission critical failures chase@centerline.com (1995-05-02)
Re: compiler defects and mission critical failures miker@metaware.com (1995-05-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: metzger@bach.convex.com (Robert Metzger)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 1995 05:18:56 GMT

>Is there any information on failures of mission critical applications
>which were caused by a defect in a compiler? In particular, is there
>any information on compiler defects which resulted in significant loss
>of money, damage or loss of equipment, or injury or loss of human life?
>
>Christopher Glaeser cdg@nullstone.com
>Nullstone Corporation (800) 995-2841

Looking for someone to give you grist for the marketing-brochure-mill, eh?

I assume you have done your due diligence and read
Computer Related Risks, Peter Neumann, Addison Wesley, 1995,

as well as the column he has been running in Software Engineering Notes
for almost a decade?

He also has an online version:
risks@csl.sri.com for contributions.

I highly recommend the book, with one caveat. His politics are
decidely left of center, particularly with regard to national
defense. The liberal bent on social issues is there also, but more
subtle. Nonetheless, even the pinkest paragraph often contains a
pearl of wisdom. This should come as no surprise to the observant.
The only recommendation on the book cover is from Ralph Nader, that
highly reputed computer expert. If you get a headache after reading
the book, take a 2 hour dose of Rush Limbaugh and Email me in the
morning.

I found zero references to bugs of the type you are interested in mentioned
in the book, and I don't recall any from SEN. But my memory could be
faulty, so I suggest you do the market research yourself.

Robert Metzger Voice: 214-497-4437 Email: metzger@convex.com
Convex Computer Corporation 3000 Waterview Parkway
P.O. Box 833851 Richardson, TX 75083-3851