Will the availability of browsers affect source code?

crb@eng.umd.edu (Christopher R. Bowman)
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 11:00:49 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Will the availability of browsers affect source code? crb@eng.umd.edu (1995-04-25)
Re: Will the availability of browsers affect source code? norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (1995-04-29)
Re: Will the availability of browsers affect source code? preston@cs.rice.edu (1995-04-29)
Re: Will the availability of browsers affect source code? astor@onyx.stud.unit.no (1995-04-29)
Re: Will the availability of browsers affect source code? norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (1995-05-01)
Re: Will the availability of browsers affect source code? jeremy@sw.oz.au (1995-05-01)
Will the availability of browsers affect source code? Dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1995-05-09)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: crb@eng.umd.edu (Christopher R. Bowman)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 11:00:49 GMT

With the availability of multiple cross plattform world wide web browsers
will we see any impact on how programs are coded and commented? Will
for instance people be putting links in to Gcc that would link directly to
the man page for Gcc to explain the source code that processes the command
line options? Will Authors put be disposed to distribute pictures with
their source
that explains for instance a particularly complex tree manipulation.
Wouldn't it be nice to write a program and have it insert a refference to
the source/definition of each function that is more than say two pages
away, and doesn't have a link within two pages? One might belive that due
to the emergence of these cross platform broswers people might be tempted
to use them to better document their code, and not be tied to a particular
CASE tool or code editor on a particular platform, besides the just about
everyone's got a browsers, and they all work just about the same with the
same file format. (HTML) Am I being silly? Am I just one more of the me
too type people trying
to jump on the WWW bandwagon? Will language design change as a results of
any of this?

If you think I am total off base, and this was the wrong news group (it isn't
really on target, but in my warped twisted mind it seemd kinda close) then
feel free to answer via email.
-----
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu