Q: Side effect removal transformations (Source to source)

11harmanm@unl.ac.uk (Mark Harman)
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 19:49:36 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Q: Side effect removal transformations (Source to source) 11harmanm@unl.ac.uk (1995-04-12)
Re: Q: Side effect removal transformations (Source to source) sethml@gluttony.ugcs.caltech.edu (1995-04-18)
Re: Q: Side effect removal transformations (Source to source) copperma@grenoble.rxrc.xerox.com (1995-04-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: 11harmanm@unl.ac.uk (Mark Harman)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 19:49:36 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking for papers/reports on side effect removal transformations.

The transformations I'm looking for would transform a C program with side
effects in its expressions into a semantically equivelent program (in C) with
no side effects.

For example, the program fragment:-

x = y++ ;
if (z=++i>2) x++ ;

could be transformed to

x = y;
y = y+1;
i = i+1;
z = i;
if(z>2) x=x+1;

[That is I hope it is ... :-) I constructed this example by hand].

But I think things get harder if we allow user--defined functions,
pointers, gotos etc. I've done some work in this area, but I'm sure
it's unoriginal and so I'm trying to find the source references.

Mark.

Mark Harman,
Project Project, tel : +44 (0)171 753 5751 (direct Line)
School of Computing, +44 (0)171 607 2789 (Switch Board)
University of North London, fax : +44 (0)171 753 7009
Holloway Road, e-mail: mh4@doc.ic.ac.uk
London, or
N7 8DB, m.harman@unl.ac.uk
U.K.