Need tool for crunching PL/M-386 source code

azmls@aztec.asu.edu (MICHAEL L. MIKE SCHWARTZ)
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 18:53:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need tool for crunching PL/M-386 source code azmls@aztec.asu.edu (1995-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
From: azmls@aztec.asu.edu (MICHAEL L. MIKE SCHWARTZ)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 18:53:27 GMT

Q.#0 -- Meta question
---------------------
I guess what I need first, is to figure out
    where to go, (read or post, e.g.) to pursue Q.#1,
    my real question.
If you can recommend a news group, or an FAQ
    or something, I'd appreciate it.

Appendix A. -- What Q.#1, my real question, is
We seek a software tool to help us analyze our PL/M-386
    source code in a certain very narrow, specific way.
    We have an embedded system with concurrent tasks, or
    processes. (Actually, they'd be considered light
    weight 'threads').
Some routines are called from multiple tasks, (possibly
    'simultaneously'), so they have to be reentrant.

We have to re-evaluate this every so often, because our
    software source code does not hold still.
    It changes over time.
We know how to do this manually, but we have a very
    large body of software, so it is a lot of work,
    and it seems to be well suited to being done by
    a program, vs. manually.

Most of the code is in a language called PL/M-386.
    Some is in C or assembly.
    If we could just find a tool that could handle
    the C and the PL/M-386, it would be a big help.
There may be expensive off-the-shelf tool kits
    available commercially, that do what we need,
    ((and also do 99 other things)).
    We were hoping to get off cheaper than that.

Our basic need is, to come up with who-calls-who.
    Once we have that, I think we can
    do inverses and transitive closures, i.e. find
    out which procedures have 'dual citizenship'.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
--
Mike Schwartz +1 602 561 1223
7629 W. Kristal Way schwartz@acm.org or