Register allocation for 8-bit processors?

preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs)
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 00:52:05 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Register allocation for 8-bit processors? torbenm@diku.dk (1995-03-09)
Register allocation for 8-bit processors? preston@tera.com (1995-03-14)
Re: Register allocation for 8-bit processors? Rajiv@ibeam.jf.intel.com (1995-03-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 00:52:05 GMT

>I will shortly be starting work on a register allocator for 8-bit
>processors. I intend to use a variant of graph colouring. I have
>identified some problems and found some plausible solutions to these,
>but wonder if anyone knows of any papers that discuss the following
>problems:
>
> 1) Values larger than 8 bits (16 and 32 bits are needed in my case)
> 2) Most 8-bit processors are two-address, ...

A better solution for (1) is discussed in

    title="Coloring Register Pairs",
    author="Preston Briggs and Keith D. Cooper and Linda Torczon",
    pages="3--13",
    journal=loplas,
    year=1992,
    month=mar,
    volume=1,
    number=1

The same discussion also appears as a chapter of my thesis
(anonymous ftp from cs.rice.edu, in the directory public/preston)

A better solution for (2) is mentioned in my thesis (section 8.6,
under Uses of Coalescing: Handling Instruction Constraints), but only
because I'm describing Chaitin's work. See the section on register
allocation in

    title="An Overview of the {PL.8} Compiler",
    author="Marc A. Auslander and Martin E. Hopkins",
    journal=sigplan,
    year=1982,
    month=jun,
    volume=17,