Corpus-based parser generator?

pahint@eunet.be (Pieter Hintjens)
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 20:01:09 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Corpus-based parser generator? pahint@eunet.be (1995-03-07)
Corpus-based parser generator miles@minster.york.ac.uk (1995-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pahint@eunet.be (Pieter Hintjens)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 20:01:09 GMT

Does anyone know of any research on corpus-based parser generation?
By 'corpus-based', I mean an approach that analyses a large body of
existing, known valid code, as compared to the traditional approach
which starts by defining the syntactic/semantic rules.

Basically I want to take a whole bunch of programs in language X,
throw these at a tool which will then generate a parser for X. The
end-result might not be a compiler as such, perhaps just a tool
that can say 'Yes, that looks like an X program, except for this
and this, which are wrong'.

--
Pieter A. Hintjens
[Sounds well-nigh impossible to me, but it'd be fun to try. -John]