Object-file formats

Paul_Long@ortel.org (Paul Long)
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 17:08:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Object-file formats Paul_Long@ortel.org (1995-02-12)
Re: Object-file formats patteeuw@etcv01.eld.ford.com (1995-02-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Paul_Long@ortel.org (Paul Long)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 17:08:32 GMT

How widely used is the Elf/DWARF object-file format? I have been told that
while COFF is still useable and not obsolete, it is a rather old format.
IEEE-695 has come along since, followed most recently by Elf/DWARF. I had
planned on using COFF for a new development environment but am wondering
whether this is wise. I have heard that Elf/DWARF is more expressive but
also more complicated to implement (I've ordered a spec sheet from Intel).
Any observations or experience with Elf/DWARF? Disadvantages/advantages of
the different formats?

Thanks,
Paul_Long@ortel.org