Q: Intermediate code for interpreting & compiling?

davis@wln.com (Ryan Davis)
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 18:29:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Q: Intermediate code for interpreting & compiling? davis@wln.com (1995-02-10)
Re: Q: Intermediate code for interpreting & compiling? torbenm@diku.dk (1995-02-14)
Re: Q: Intermediate code for interpreting & compiling? cef@geodesic.com (Charles Fiterman) (1995-02-14)
Re: Q: Intermediate code for interpreting & compiling? danhicks@aol.com (1995-02-22)
Re: Q: Intermediate code for interpreting & compiling? Dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1995-02-24)
Re: Q: Intermediate code for interpreting & compiling? zmola@cicero.spc.uchicago.edu (1995-02-24)
Re: Q: Intermediate code for interpreting & compiling? davidm@Rational.COM (1995-02-28)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: davis@wln.com (Ryan Davis)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 18:29:57 GMT

I am looking for some type of solution to a problem that I think arises
enough. I am programming a language that will act much like smalltalk,
namely, that it will be incrementally compiled into some form of
intermediate code that will later be compiled OR interpreted. I would like
it to be as generic (i.e. platform independant) as possible as I only
really want to write it once and recompile on multiple machines with as
little tweaking as possible... C is not a valid intermediate because then
I would be implementing 2 languages at once and I'm not up to that yet...
(Student, ya know...) that, and I think it would be easier to bring it to
a lower level than that...

Any solutions? Any suggestions?

      http://www.wln.com/~davis \ / davis@wln.com