Re: Determining instruction mix

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 02:43:07 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Determining instruction mix s9154221@mella.ee.up.ac.za (1995-02-06)
Re: Determining instruction mix nandu@cs.clemson.edu (1995-02-07)
Re: Determining instruction mix gardner@pink-panther.cs.uiuc.edu (1995-02-07)
Re: Determining instruction mix mueller@nu.cs.fsu.edu (1995-02-08)
Re: Determining instruction mix pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-02-09)
Re: Determining instruction mix roos@grendel.csc.smith.edu (1995-02-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 02:43:07 GMT

>[How can I study the dynamic instruction mix of a program?]

Well, here I go, blowing my own horn again. A variety of tools are
described in

%A Bob Cmelik
%A David Keppel
%T Shade: A Fast Instruction-Set Simulator for Execution Profiling
%J Proceedings of the 1994 ACM SIGMETRICS Conference
on the Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems
%D May 1994
%P 128-137

For details, see the URL

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/pardo/papers.d/shade.html

If your programs can run on a SPARC, consider using Shade. It's free,
it will give you useful counts of dynamic instruction mix, and the
distribution includes e.g. an analyzer that generates a color
PostScript(tm) chart of the N most frequent instruction pairs. You
can find out more about getting Shade from the FAQ, available from the
URL

ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/pardo/shade-license.lpr

If you don't have WWW or anon ftp, you can write me and I'll send you
a copy of the FAQ.

;-D on ( The tracing fool ) Pardo