Re: lex|awk?: HP f77 to ansi f77

jbc@PrimeNet.Com (Joe Chisolm)
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 16:56:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
lex|awk?: HP f77 to ansi f77 FMDD07A@prodigy.com (1995-02-02)
Re: lex|awk?: HP f77 to ansi f77 jbc@PrimeNet.Com (1995-02-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jbc@PrimeNet.Com (Joe Chisolm)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 16:56:10 GMT

FMDD07A@prodigy.com (Charles Hurlocker) writes:
>I need to convert about 300 HP Fortran 77 source files to ansi standard
>Fortran. These sources were written using HP's "extensions" that include
>multiple statements/line, octal constants, ect., etc. I'm neither a lex
>nor awk user, hence I'm considering both to solve my problem. ...

I wrote a VMS F77 to Ansi F77 a few years back. It was not an easy task. To
process all of the extensions (records, structures, RMS IO, etc) it wound up
being a very complex project. Sometimes the extensions will require several
lines of F77 code, and/or function and subroutine calls. This can lead to
problems with IF statements and other function calls. Simple conversion of
octal constants, in-line comments and such can usually be done with lex.
Just remember:
DIMENSION IF(10)
IF(IF(1).ne.10) IF(IF(3)+3)=3

Joe Chisolm Email: jbc@primenet.com