Crossplatform GUI (not again?!) Re: XVT? (Ralf B. Lukner)
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 06:08:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
XVT? (1995-01-23)
Re: XVT? (1995-01-23)
Crossplatform GUI (not again?!) Re: XVT? (1995-02-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,
From: (Ralf B. Lukner)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 06:08:27 GMT

William Johnson <> wrote:
>We need to produce educational programs for use on a variety of computer
>platforms. Someone recommended using XVT to develop applications because (Taylor Hutt) wrote:
> The place I work just rejected XVT due to the costly licensing
> arrangment. It was about $17K (yes, K) for the X/Windows license.

Try looking at the following (open location with netscape or mosaic):
and part2.

Those files summarize/compare portable GUI builders. Based on my
literature search and other info, ILOG Views and Galaxy look like nice
cross-platform tools. I am just beginning the process of in-house eval.
Since my app is mainly for workstations, I am actually seriously
considering Openware's ObjectBuilder/OI. Attractive educational pricing
is available for these tools. For those with limited funding, using
native (single platform) compilers/GUI builders is the best solution IMHO,
but there are many portable GUI options as the file above will attest.

P.S. Note I cross-posted to where this
cross-platform issue has been addressed several times.