Object Modules (old thread about making objs)

thutt@clark.net (Taylor Hutt)
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 01:12:15 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Object Modules (old thread about making objs) thutt@clark.net (1995-01-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: thutt@clark.net (Taylor Hutt)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 01:12:15 GMT

I was unable to post this earlier because of news problems.

A week or two ago someone was asking about the Intel Object Module
format. It seems this his goal, before he dies, is to run some code that
he has generated from a compiler.

Several responses were given about different ways of getting the OMF
document from Intel & Microsoft and some about simply generating assembly
langauge (I think).

Since his whole goal was to execute code that he had generated, there
would probably be little need to link with other libraries. As such, it's
strange that no one bothered to suggest creating a special OMF and writing
a special loader for it. It would be easier to write a simple object
module format and a loader than trying to understand the Intel OMF (which
is rife with space saving features that were needed 10 or more years ago,
but make little sense now).

As an example of a simpler object module format, check out the Oberon
system from ETH: it produces dynamically loadable object modules that are
linked at load time and contain enough information for a Post-mortem
debugger to spew out information when an error occurs.

It's just and idea that he might be willing to look into, and if he wants
more information he can email me directly.

Taylor Hutt