Re: Very Fast Compilation --- references needed

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 01:05:43 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Very Fast Compilation --- references needed todd@cs.arizona.edu (1995-01-12)
Re: Very Fast Compilation --- references needed hbaker@netcom.com (1995-01-23)
Re: Very Fast Compilation --- references needed assmann@prosun.first.gmd.de (1995-01-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 01:05:43 GMT

todd@cs.arizona.edu (Todd A. Proebsting) wrote:

> I'm searching for references on producing very fast compilers.
> Any paper describing the production of a fast compiler or fast
> compiler component (e.g., scanner, parser, code generator) is
> of interest. I've included below the papers I've been able to
> find through a couple of stabs at bibtex databases. I'd be
> interested in additional papers --- undoubtedly, I've missed some.

There was a tutorial at PLDI '89 that
addressed this topic. The guy who gave it was English and did
Cobol compilers for the PC. I don't remember his name, but it
shouldn't be difficult to find out from ACM.

You might include the following reference:

Baker, H.G. "Pragmatic Parsing in Common Lisp". ACM Lisp Pointers
4,2 (Apr-Jun 1991), 3-15. Also on the internet at URLs
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/Prag-Parse.html and
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/Prag-Parse.ps.Z

This shows how to get machine-language parsing speed out of
Common Lisp!