Re: AWK compiler for HP-UX?

joshua@veritas.com (Joshua Levy)
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 21:42:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
AWK compiler for HP-UX? marko@cse.utoledo.edu (1994-12-28)
Re: AWK compiler for HP-UX? joshua@veritas.com (1995-01-06)
Re: AWK compiler for HP-UX? ruiter@ruls41.fsw.leidenuniv.nl (1995-01-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: joshua@veritas.com (Joshua Levy)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 21:42:04 GMT

> marko@cse.utoledo.edu (Mark A. Jennings) writes:
>Does anyoune know of a company that sells AWK compiler for HP-UX?

Yes. And No. My memory has faded, but years ago I bought (from the
AT&T toolchest?) a program called awkcc, which turned AWK into C.
They sold it with source code, so you could port it to HP-UX.
You could then compile the C code. It worked, generating C code
which was as hard to understand as any assembler.

>[Are awk compilers notably faster than mawk and gawk? -John]

For my application, I thought it was faster than gawk, which I also had.
There are reasons besides speed for compiling, however. I needed an AWK
compiler so that end users could not see the AWK code. (Although a
quicker solution may have been to encode it and write a C program which
would unencode it and then call awk).

Joshua Levy <joshua@veritas.com>