Re: programmer optimizations?

bill@amber.ssd.csd.harris.com (Bill Leonard)
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 16:54:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
programmer optimizations? afsal@genius.tisl.soft.net (Afsal C. Majeed) (1994-12-28)
Re: programmer optimizations? davidm@Rational.COM (1994-12-31)
Re: programmer optimizations? fjh@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1995-01-01)
Re: programmer optimizations? jhowat@lucifer.cs.waikato.ac.nz (1995-01-02)
Re: programmer optimizations? jbuck@Synopsys.COM (1995-01-02)
Re: programmer optimizations? eru@tele.nokia.fi (Erkki Ruohtula) (1995-01-11)
Re: programmer optimizations? conway@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1995-01-05)
Re: programmer optimizations? bill@amber.ssd.csd.harris.com (1995-01-05)
Re: programmer optimizations? kerch@albion.camb.inmet.com (1995-01-12)
Re: programmer optimizations? monnier@di.epfl.ch (Stefan Monnier) (1995-01-21)
Re: programmer optimizations? synaptx!carambole!daveg@uunet.uu.net (Dave Gillespie) (1995-01-11)
Re: programmer optimizations? det@sw.stratus.com (David Toland) (1995-01-11)
Re: programmer optimizations? cdg@nullstone.com (1995-01-23)
Re: programmer optimizations? hbaker@netcom.com (1995-01-27)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bill@amber.ssd.csd.harris.com (Bill Leonard)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 16:54:47 GMT

Moderator writes:
> [One reason that such optimizations are discouraged is that they're often
> wrong. Turning n/4 into n>>2 is only correct if n is unsigned.

Not only are such optimizations often wrong, they often are not optimal!
For instance, I remember a machine I worked on not too long ago in which
shift was exceptionally slow, whereas integer divide was pretty fair.
Turns out that dividing by small powers of 2 (e.g., 4) was better done by
shifting, but larger powers of 2 were not.

The best advice is to express the operation you actually want performed,
and let the compiler do the optimizing. Unfortunately, some programmers
write "n / 4" when what they actually meant was "shift n right by 2", and
vice versa. This can often result in sub-optimal code because the compiler
must maintain the semantics of the language, regardless of what you
*meant*, and because the compiler has less knowledge about the data than
the programmer (sometimes).

--
Bill Leonard
Harris Computer Systems Corporation