Re: C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse

larus@cs.wisc.edu (James Larus)
Sat, 17 Dec 1994 14:05:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse mary_thomas@pws.com (1994-12-12)
C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse ssimmons@convex.convex.com (1994-12-14)
Re: C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse preston@tera.com (1994-12-15)
Re: C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse larus@cs.wisc.edu (1994-12-17)
Re: C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse jg2560@cesn6.cen.uiuc.edu (1994-12-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: larus@cs.wisc.edu (James Larus)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 14:05:04 GMT

Background: I've used C++ as the required programming language in my
compiler class for the past 3 or 4 years, even though I had to teach
it as part of the class.

I find that having the students use one language is a major advantage
in teaching. It enables me to put up examples and be sure that
everyone understands them. Also, I can hand out large sections of the
compiler.

I use a subset of C++ (which I call super-C) that is C with strong
typing and abstract datatypes. Once they become acustomed to it, the
students really like it. I introduce object and inheritence late in
the course when we cover parsing and AST (for which inheritence is
great).

All that is lacking is a good textbook that uses C++ (hint, hint).

I agree with Preston, on the other hand, that a compiler course should
not teach students to COMPILE a particular language.

/Jim

James Larus
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin