C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse

ssimmons@convex.convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 13:40:15 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse mary_thomas@pws.com (1994-12-12)
C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse ssimmons@convex.convex.com (1994-12-14)
Re: C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse preston@tera.com (1994-12-15)
Re: C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse larus@cs.wisc.edu (1994-12-17)
Re: C++ as implementation language in compiler design crse jg2560@cesn6.cen.uiuc.edu (1994-12-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ssimmons@convex.convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 13:40:15 GMT

mary_thomas@pws.com
> Do you anticipate that you will be using C++ as the implementation
> language of choice in your compiler design course, in the 1996-1997
> academic year? If not, why not?

IMHO, you should not force an implementation language on the students,
especially a new one and especially C++.

- There is enough real work in a compiler course that hoisting a new
                      language on them is ridiculous.
                - Compiler internals do not blend well with O-O structure.
- YACC and LEX work real well with C but not so well with C++.

When I taught a compiler course, I used C as the default language for
examples, but they were allowed to code in whatever lanaguage that
they wanted. I believe that students should work in what they feel
comfortable on in such a complex matter. Let an O-O class introduce
them to C++. Take a class to discuss implementation issues associated
with inheritance, overloading, and virtual functions.