Re: executables

robert@par.univie.ac.at (Robert Mayer - Student)
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:15:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: executables htak@eskimo.com (1994-12-08)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-09)
executables htak@eskimo.com (1994-12-12)
Re: executables will@ccs.neu.edu (1994-12-12)
Re: executables rcheung@delos.stgt.sub.org (1994-12-17)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-17)
Re: executables robert@par.univie.ac.at (1994-12-14)
Re: Executables vadakke@cse.uta.edu (1994-12-14)
Re: executables larus@cs.wisc.edu (1994-12-17)
Re: executables mleone+@cs.cmu.edu (Mark Leone) (1994-12-17)
Re: executables im@jolt.mpx.com.au (1994-12-19)
Re: executables richard@atheist.tamu.edu (1994-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: robert@par.univie.ac.at (Robert Mayer - Student)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:15:47 GMT

tleylan@aloha.com writes:
|> As far as I can tell there is no source of formal training of any kind
|> (even a reference book) for this type of information. I find it a bit
|> surprising to read papers on the most obscure compiler constructs but
|> nothing on "A Cool Algorithm To Output Intel OBJ Format".
|>
|> The people who have done this are largely self-taught ? Is that a fair
|> conclusion ? I can write assembler, BTW. Maybe it is a whole lot easier
|> than I'm imaging and everybody is wondering why I'm writing this ?

Someone already mentioned ValLink. I would like to add some info on
this:

ValLink is a linker that runs under MSDOS and links Intel-style .obj
files to create MSDOS executables. It comes with full source code. It
includes documentation on Intel's .obj format. It even includes a
browser to read this documentation. Altough the documentation views
things from a linker perspective, I think it should also be useful
to a compiler writer.

The name of the file is 'val-link.zip'. You should find it on your
nearest simtel mirror,
e.g. ftp.univie.ac.at:/systems/dos/simtel/pgmutil/val-link.zip

Regards,
Robert