Re: executables (Robert Mayer - Student)
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:15:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[6 earlier articles]
Re: executables (1994-12-08)
Re: executables (1994-12-09)
executables (1994-12-12)
Re: executables (1994-12-12)
Re: executables (1994-12-17)
Re: executables (1994-12-14)
Re: Executables (1994-12-14)
Re: executables (1994-12-17)
Re: executables (Mark Leone) (1994-12-17)
Re: executables (1994-12-19)
Re: executables (1994-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Robert Mayer - Student)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:15:47 GMT writes:
|> As far as I can tell there is no source of formal training of any kind
|> (even a reference book) for this type of information. I find it a bit
|> surprising to read papers on the most obscure compiler constructs but
|> nothing on "A Cool Algorithm To Output Intel OBJ Format".
|> The people who have done this are largely self-taught ? Is that a fair
|> conclusion ? I can write assembler, BTW. Maybe it is a whole lot easier
|> than I'm imaging and everybody is wondering why I'm writing this ?

Someone already mentioned ValLink. I would like to add some info on

ValLink is a linker that runs under MSDOS and links Intel-style .obj
files to create MSDOS executables. It comes with full source code. It
includes documentation on Intel's .obj format. It even includes a
browser to read this documentation. Altough the documentation views
things from a linker perspective, I think it should also be useful
to a compiler writer.

The name of the file is ''. You should find it on your
nearest simtel mirror,