Re: executables

tleylan@aloha.com
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 20:22:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-11-30)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-03)
Re: executables johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (1994-12-04)
Re: executables fastyeald@cix.compulink.co.uk (1994-12-06)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-07)
Re: executables bob@cs.adelaide.edu.au (1994-12-08)
Re: executables htak@eskimo.com (1994-12-08)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-09)
executables htak@eskimo.com (1994-12-12)
Re: executables will@ccs.neu.edu (1994-12-12)
Re: executables rcheung@delos.stgt.sub.org (1994-12-17)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-17)
Re: executables robert@par.univie.ac.at (1994-12-14)
Re: Executables vadakke@cse.uta.edu (1994-12-14)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tleylan@aloha.com
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 20:22:28 GMT

On Fri, 9 Dec 1994, Bill Boag wrote:

> After parsing and lexical analysis, you have a stream of tokens. Now you
> need a grammar to interpret the tokens.

> If you cannot write an assembly language program that implements a program
> in your language, you will have a hard time writing a program to do it
> automatically (after all that is what a compiler does).

Bill: I appreciate the reply but I think you misinterpreted the area of my
major problem. I've read the books, I've played with the tools, I've read
the messages in comp.compilers for years. Nobody ever explains how to
output in relocatable object format.

In the book I wrote I explain appl. development from start to finish I
clearly might have missed _something_ but it wouldn't have been 25% of
the process.

As far as I can tell there is no source of formal training of any kind
(even a reference book) for this type of information. I find it a bit
surprising to read papers on the most obscure compiler constructs but
nothing on "A Cool Algorithm To Output Intel OBJ Format".

The people who have done this are largely self-taught ? Is that a fair
conclusion ? I can write assembler, BTW. Maybe it is a whole lot easier
than I'm imaging and everybody is wondering why I'm writing this ?

tom
[No, it's a pain, and it's not glamorous, hence no books lately. -John]