Interpreter info needed

Tony Jones <>
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 18:29:46 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpreter info needed (Tony Jones) (1994-12-09)
Re: Interpreter info needed (1994-12-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Tony Jones <>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 18:29:46 GMT

Looking for tips/references on coding fast bytecode/stack-machine interpreters
in C.

For op-code processing, I was planning to use some form of dispatch table
instead of a big switch statement, but I'd rather avoid function call/return
overhead [i.e array of function pointers], by jumping to sub code to process
each op-code and threading back to the main dispatch code afterwards.

I'll be writing in C, on DOS/UNIX and MacOS. Using GCC where possible but
ThinkC on the Mac.

Of course, I'd like to keep the amount of assembly code to an absolute

thanks in advance

[There was a great thread a few years ago on more or less machine independent
threaded code in C. You can find it in the compilers archives. -John]