Interpreter info needed

Tony Jones <tony@odin.sunquest.com>
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 18:29:46 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpreter info needed tony@odin.sunquest.com (Tony Jones) (1994-12-09)
Re: Interpreter info needed danhicks@aol.com (1994-12-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Tony Jones <tony@odin.sunquest.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 18:29:46 GMT

Looking for tips/references on coding fast bytecode/stack-machine interpreters
in C.

For op-code processing, I was planning to use some form of dispatch table
instead of a big switch statement, but I'd rather avoid function call/return
overhead [i.e array of function pointers], by jumping to sub code to process
each op-code and threading back to the main dispatch code afterwards.

I'll be writing in C, on DOS/UNIX and MacOS. Using GCC where possible but
ThinkC on the Mac.

Of course, I'd like to keep the amount of assembly code to an absolute
minimum.

thanks in advance

tony
[There was a great thread a few years ago on more or less machine independent
threaded code in C. You can find it in the compilers archives. -John]