Re: executables

htak@eskimo.com (Henry Takeuchi)
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 09:24:03 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-11-30)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-03)
Re: executables johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (1994-12-04)
Re: executables fastyeald@cix.compulink.co.uk (1994-12-06)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-07)
Re: executables bob@cs.adelaide.edu.au (1994-12-08)
Re: executables htak@eskimo.com (1994-12-08)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-09)
executables htak@eskimo.com (1994-12-12)
Re: executables will@ccs.neu.edu (1994-12-12)
Re: executables rcheung@delos.stgt.sub.org (1994-12-17)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-17)
Re: executables robert@par.univie.ac.at (1994-12-14)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: htak@eskimo.com (Henry Takeuchi)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 09:24:03 GMT

<tleylan@aloha.com> wrote:
: [Looking for info on generating Intel object files]
: Thanks for any pointers... I'm determined to compile some arbitrary code
: of my own design into an executable program before I die. <g>

One source of information on the MS-DOS object file format is "The MS-DOS
Encyclopedia", editted by Ray Duncan, ISBN 1-55615-174-8.

"Article" 19 describes the essential record formats. (plus others)
The description of the FIXUPP record has a sample file and a discussion of
how all that fixup data is used. This discussion also explains threads,
but you can simplify your compiler by not generating them.

"Article" 20 is a description of one of Microsoft's linker.
It also has info on the special use of DGROUP by Microsoft.

"Article" 4 contains info on segment/class/group names that Microsoft prefers
to use.

If you need to build libraries, you can find info in the Windows 3.1
Programmer's Reference, vol 4: Resources. ISBN 1-55615-494-1

If you need to build 32-bit programs, you'll have to call Microsoft. They
might have info on a CD-ROM.

(Hmmm, maybe now's the time to make my compiler generate .OBJ code instead
of assembly language...it's really not that hard...)

Henry S. Takeuchi
htak@eskimo.com