Data breakpoints in debuggers (Paul Roberts)
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 23:37:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Data breakpoints in debuggers (1994-12-01)
Re: Data breakpoints in debuggers (1994-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Paul Roberts)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 23:37:06 GMT

I am finishing my thesis in which I made significant improvements to
"watchpoints" in GDB. Watchpoints are "data breakpoints": memory
locations that when changed cause the program to stop and give control to
the debugger.

As part of the research I need to compare with other debuggers. If you
know of other debuggers that implement watchpoints, please let me know.
In any case, if you know the debugger or can cite a reference for the
debugger on these OS's, please respond. Thanks!

Various Unices MVS TOPS-10 RT-11 MPE
PRIMOS VMS ITS EXEC-8 Apollo's Aegis
AOS TOPS-20/Tenex RSX Multics Amoeba
Perq Other operating systems we can't think of

Specifically I would like to know:
        1. Does the debugger provide data breakpoints?

        2. If it does, must you watch specific memory locations or can you
              watch an arbitrary expression?

        3. How is it implemented: single stepping, virtual memory, monitor
              registers, code patching, other? Paul Roberts