New TR on Class Hierarchy Analysis (Jeffrey Dean)
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 23:21:20 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New TR on Class Hierarchy Analysis (1994-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.object,comp.compilers
From: (Jeffrey Dean)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 23:21:20 GMT

The Cecil group at the University of Washington is pleased to announce
the availability of a new technical report (94-12-01) on optimizing
object-oriented programs by exploiting knowledge about their class
hierarchy. The report is available via our WWW site:

Or via anonymous ftp from:

The title and abstract of the report are:

Optimization of Object-Oriented Programs Using Static Class Hierarchy Analysis
                                Jeffrey Dean, David Grove, and Craig Chambers

Optimizing compilers for object-oriented languages apply static class
analysis and other techniques to try to deduce precise information
about the possible classes of the receivers of messages; if
successful, dynamically-dispatched messages can be replaced with
direct procedure calls and potentially further optimized through
inline-expansion. By examining the complete inheritance graph of a
program, which we call class hierarchy analysis, the compiler can
improve the quality of static class information and thereby improve
run-time performance. In this paper we present class hierarchy
analysis and describe techniques for implementing this analysis
effectively in both statically- and dynamically-typed languages and
also in the presence of multi-methods. We also discuss how class
hierarchy analysis can be supported in an interactive programming
environment and, to some extent, in the presence of separate
compilation. Finally, we assess the bottom-line performance
improvement due to class hierarchy analysis alone and in combination
with two other "competing" optimizations, profile-guided receiver
class prediction and method specialization.

-- Jeff

Jeffrey Dean ( Graduate Student
Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering University of Washington