executables

tleylan@aloha.com
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 20:40:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-11-30)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-03)
Re: executables johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (1994-12-04)
Re: executables fastyeald@cix.compulink.co.uk (1994-12-06)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-07)
Re: executables bob@cs.adelaide.edu.au (1994-12-08)
Re: executables htak@eskimo.com (1994-12-08)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tleylan@aloha.com
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 20:40:42 GMT

Hi... I have to believe I'm not alone with this problem but after years of
periodically looking for solutions I still can't find much in the way of
information or examples of turning source code into Intel .OBJ format
(linkable) modules.

I've read all the books, Aho, Holub. Fischer,,,,,,,, and about 9 others
and while everybody talks about parsing, and lexical analysis nobody
appears to actually complete a compiler.

I don't want to output C source or assembly just something that can be
linked by the average PC-based DOS linker. Has anybody done this and
would they be willing to chat about it or point me toward something that
explains it ? I have found a document that describes the Intel .OBJ
record formats but while it illustrates the "what" it doesn't mention the
"how".

Thanks for any pointers... I'm determined to compile some arbitrary code
of my own design into an executable program before I die. <g>

tom
[This is a very poorly documented area, one of the reasons I keep threatening
to write a book on linkers and loaders. -John]