Data representation formats (Tony Sowter)
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 12:00:44 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Data representation formats (1994-11-15)
Re: Data representation formats (1994-11-17)
Re: Data representation formats (1994-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.client-server,comp.compilers,comp.lang.idl
From: (Tony Sowter)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 12:00:44 GMT

To Anyone That Can Help,

I am writing a client-server model which will send messages between
machines of different types. What I need is to find out how to store
information about the data representation of the machines which I am
running on. I know that I need to store data ordering of the machine, but
what about structure packing? Some machines use natural alignment, others
use compressed format.

It seems to me that there must be a way of storing information about the
packing used by the hardware/compiler combination in a handful of bytes
(RPC systems must have something like this).

Does anyone know what a good solution is, or appropriate books/articles
which address this problem?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.

Tony Sowter

[Many systems use Sun's XDR which basically maps everything into word
aligned big-endian format. -John]