Re: What's a "snowplow"?

"david d `zoo' zuhn" <>
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 02:23:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What's a "snowplow"? (1994-11-09)
Re: What's a "snowplow"? (david d `zoo' zuhn) (1994-11-12)
Re: What's a "snowplow"? (1994-11-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "david d `zoo' zuhn" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 1994 02:23:45 GMT

// "See the battle of the snowplows! The enire population of
// Cleveland Ohio compiled in a single pass!"
// What's a "snowplow"? If it's a compiler term, its certainly fallen from
// favor, as no compiler text I can find mentions it.

    compile: tr.v: 2. To put together or compose from materials gathered from
    several sources.

    snowplow: n. 1. A plowlike device or vehicle used to remove snow,
    esp. from roads and railroad tracks.

My part of the world (at least) is intimately familiar with these very
large beasts, usually a grungy orange.

Ob. comp.compilers: the road I live on is can be handled in a single-pass,
whilst major roads usually require multiple passes. It's truly a monster
plow than can handle all of Cleveland in a single pass.

Optimization techniques include sand and salt, but these often have long
term detrimental effects on the execution environment.

[ Oh G*d, if I'm this crazy before the snow flies... ]
[This about sums up the snowplow discussion. -John]