Looking for studies of program bugs.

Charles Fiterman <cef@geodesic.com>
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 15:00:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for studies of program bugs. cef@geodesic.com (Charles Fiterman) (1994-10-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Charles Fiterman <cef@geodesic.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 15:00:23 GMT

We are looking for statistical studies on how programs
get bugs. We are especially interested in the following

Storage allocation bugs, either memory leaks or premature

Indentation syntax mismatch. That is the program is indented
one way but reads another to the parser.
if (x < 0)
a = 1;
b = 2;

This is sometimes called the dangling else bug is in.
if (something)
if (somethingElse)

Missing statement delimeters or terminators. (semicolons)

Uninitialized variables.

Failure to finalize procedures or objects caused by inner
exit or return.

These questions all impact language design.

Please email any responces to