Back End Generators

John Heron <heronj@smtplink.NGC.COM>
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 02:31:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Back End Generators heronj@smtplink.NGC.COM (John Heron) (1994-10-12)
Re: Back End Generators heronj@smtplink.NGC.COM (John Heron) (1994-10-12)
Re: Back End Generators hbaker@netcom.com (1994-10-14)
Re: Back End Generators johnmce@world.std.com (1994-10-16)
Re: Back End Generators adrian@platon.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1994-10-16)
Re: Back End Generators chase@centerline.com (1994-10-21)
Re: Back End Generators pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-10-21)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: John Heron <heronj@smtplink.NGC.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 02:31:11 GMT

The other day I was reading a Henry Baker article in SIGPLAN about using
simulated annealing as a theoretical framework for thinking about garbage
collection. It occured to me that this technnique might be useful in auto-
matic code generation systems. You know, the type of thing where you give
a definitionof your intermediate code, your machine and its timing, and
build a code generator. Might be good for generating peephole optimizers
too. I did a real quick literature search, and didn't find anything. Is
this my idea or is someone else to blame? It seems kind of obvious... If
you've already tried it or know of someone who did, I'd be interested in
their results, or if not, then I'd appreciate any reactions.

Another related question is: are there any other discrete approximations
to optimization that might be applied. Genetic algorithms perhaps? I'm not
totally sure what they are. I looked at a book once, and I remember saying
to myself "This looks like AI stuff, I'm not interested." Maybe, my loss!

**** John Heron (jheron@ngc.com)