Re: C-- compiler (Nick Barnes)
Tue, 11 Oct 1994 10:01:35 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C-- compiler (1994-10-05)
Re: C-- compiler (1994-10-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Nick Barnes)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 10:01:35 GMT (Germans DM) writes:

      int stupid_function(;)
              /* blah, blah */
      The compiler goes: I expect a type specifier -> int, OK.
I expect an identifier -> stupid_function, OK.
I expect either a ; or a ( -> (, OK, it's a new function.
I expect a ) -> ERROR!

      Here the compiler can do two things, either he can insert a ) and go on or
      it can exchange the ; for a ) and go on.

Or it can scan forwards some limited distance looking for an
acceptable token.

Or it can ditch the partially-built tree and scan forwards
indefinitely looking for the start of a new top-level declaration.

Nick Barnes