Program semantics ? (Werner Ziegler)
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 14:18:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Program semantics ? (1994-10-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Werner Ziegler)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 14:18:42 GMT

I have a general question about compilers. First I have to say, that I am
not used to compiler specific problems. I wanted to analyse a c++-program
to find out the usage of some variables. Of course there is no way to
determine the semantic of a programm at whole, but as dataflow-analysis in
optimizing compilers show, there is a chance to lit up the blackbox quite
a bit. Is there any book dealing with such problems ? Has anyone ever
tried before ? For example, I have the following source:

... for (int i=0; i < 8; i++) x[i] = something; ...

And I want to retrieve the information, that the indices 0 to 8 of array x
are used in the program. If anyone has ever dealt with such things I would
appreciate a notice.

Werner Ziegler
C.v.O.Universitaet Oldenburg
Abt. Programmiersprachen und Programmiersysteme