Re: Compilers course/Mss. for review (Joachim Schrod)
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 19:05:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compilers course/Mss. for review (1994-09-18)
Re: Compilers course/Mss. for review (M. Manoj Kumar) (1994-09-19)
Re: Compilers course/Mss. for review (1994-09-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Joachim Schrod)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 19:05:14 GMT (nathan wilbur) writes:
> Although he'd like to be able to
> use C++ as the implementation language, he says doesn't have a
> lexical/parser tool geared to C++ available to him, and he suspects that
> there really isn't one readily available. If such a tool is available, it
> should preferably be: Cheap (almost public domain), widely available, and
> resident on both PCs and Macs.

Hmm, up to now nobody hinted to some tools that are available and
freely distributable:

        bison++ & flex++
Adaptions of bison and flex to output C++ scanner/lexer classes.

The current version output C++ lexer clases.

        AUIS-bison & gentlex
The same as with bison++ & flex++.
From the Andrew folks.

LL(k) parser generator that has a very nice integration of
C++. (Please note that I mentioned the other parser
generators first since you wrote the author did use yacc/lex

Instead of giving several ftp sites, let me note on site where you get
(almost [*]) all of them: []
directory pub/programming/languages/compiler-compiler/

Some of these tools are not directly in this tree, but you'll get the
information where they are on this ftp site.

[*] gentlex is said to `be part of AUIS'. I was not able to locate it
in any AUIS distribution directory.

Joachim Schrod Email:, Administration